Sunday, June 12, 2011

Super 8 - Movie Review

If this review seems a little scatter-shot, it's because I just got back from a celebration of the Dallas Mavericks beating the horrible, offensive Miami Heat. I had a few celebratory drinks at Buffalo Wild Wings. :)

It's also might be a shorter review, because I just don't have that much to say about the movie.

Anyway, is Super 8 worth the hype? Unfortunately, I have to say no. It's a lot of a setup for a pretty disappointing payoff. Is it a bad movie? Not really. I actually enjoyed it for a lot of reasons:

- It's totally nostalgic for the 70's.
- The performances, especially of the kids, are all good.
- The kids were funny. Kind of Goonies-ish, except there was no Data (and I don't mean Data from Star Trek).
- Elle Fanning is a star in waiting. If you really want to see her shine watch Phoebe in Wonderland. It's one of the few times I found myself emotionally moved by a child's performance in a movie. After seeing that movie I thought she was a better actress than Dakota and I stand by that still.
- Kyle Chandler, who pretty much the main adult, made me think of a young Robert Forster.
- They did a great job of keeping you in suspense of what was causing all of this.

J.J. Abrams: I like you, and I credit you for trying, but you have to cut back on the lens flare. Seriously, I was like ten minutes into the movie and I was like, "Woah! Lens Flare!" It's throughout the movie. It kind of made sense in Star Trek, but in Super 8 it's needlessly distracting.

However, I do credit him and Spielberg for doing a good job of keeping us in the dark about the movie and not spoiling anything the trailers. I'm tired of trailers showing you half the frigging movie before it's out.

Oh yeah, don't leave when the credits start or you'll miss the best part of the movie.

Overall, this is a total matinee.

No comments:

Post a Comment