Tuesday, December 6, 2011

This week in DVD - December 4th

I'm still fighting off whatever bug or sinus infection that's been lingering, hence the delay in my posting, but the good news is that it means more time for watching movies!



Friends with Benefits

Here's my original review.  Blah!

I still maintain this was the best romantic comedy of the summer.  I think it's a great movie to rent if you want something fun, but not too raunchy.  I'm on the fence about buying this one, but I'll probably wait until it gets in that $9 range.


30 Minutes or Less

Blah, blah, blah...

This is a movie that didn't get reviewed particularly well, but I came away liking it.  Sure, the story is kind of shitty, but I liked it for the chemistry of the characters and the humor.  Plus, it's barely 90 minutes long, so you won't feel like you're watching it forever.  I may have also been a bit swayed Ruben Fleischer's direction.  I'm a huge fan of Zombieland, which he also directed, so I'm sure my love of that might had me going in more optimistic.

I think it's a good rental, but don't expect a smart comedy.  It was just silly fun for me.


Tucker & Dale vs Evil

I don't think I mentioned this in my original review, but this is seriously one of my favorite films of the year.  It might even end up in my top ten.  T&D vs E is simply a fun parody and different take on the whole slasher in the woods flick.  I highly recommend watching it with friends.  I'm buying this as soon as I see it on sale.


The Future

Bay Area native Mirandy July wrote, directed and stars in this indie drama about a couple in their mid-30's that seem to just be kind of going through the motions.  They intend on adopting a cat, but even this freaks them out when they are told that cat may live long enough to push into their 40's.  Originally, they were told the cat only had a few months to live, but upon hearing it might hang on for a few years, they worry that it's too much of a commitment.

It's a little hipster and mumblecore-ish, but not terribly so.  I thought it was okay and had it's moments.  However, there are a few parts that didn't sit well with me and it got weird at times.  It felt kind of experimental at times, so it may work for some people more than others.  Again, I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either.

It's worth a rental if you like indie films, but again it might be a little too much for the casual film watcher.  Actually, Miranda July's first film, Me and You and Everyone We Know, I would actually recommend instead of you haven't seen it yet.  I thought it was a better movie and might give a more of an idea of what you might be in for with The Future.


Our Idiot Brother

I actually really liked this.  This was in and out of the theater and I think it was due to it being marketed as a Judd Apatow-ish comedy, when it really has more of a indie comedy feel to it.  It just happens to star Paul Rudd and several other popular actors (Elizabeth Banks, Rashida Jones, Zooey Deschanel, Emily Mortimer), which kind of dictated it being marketed as a mainstream film.

Anyway, Paul Rudd basically plays a sweet, hippie-type.  While the movie's title implies he's an idiot, it's not so much that he's stupid as much as he's just naive and brutally honest.  He trusts people and wears his heart on his sleeve.  It may be a little unrealistic, but I thought it was a cute enough movie.  I laughed a few times and enjoyed watching it.

I think it's a good rental.


One Day

Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess star in a romantic drama.  I didn't like this.  It's predictable, but I don't really hold that against the movie.  What movie isn't a little bit predictable?  It just didn't work for me.  There was something about the characters that didn't sit right with me.  Maybe it was a lack of chemistry between the leads.  I can't quite put my finger on it.  Plus, the soundtrack really annoyed me.  It was like they kept using the same violin sample over and over.  Towards the end it started to get really grating.

I'm going to say pass.


The Smurfs


Ugh...kids will probably kid a kick out of it, but even as someone that watched the cartoons as kid, there's not a lot to like here or recommend.  It's just silly.  Neil Patrick Harris deserves better than this.  So does Sofia Vergara.  It's an all-star cast of voices for all the Smurfs, but half the time, you don't even recognize the voice.  The only thing I liked about it was that Jonathan Winters voiced Papa Smurf, but this mainly because I thought he had passed away.  Turns out he hasn't.

Anyway, this is a pass.  At best, rent it for the kids and then leave the room.


Seven Days in Utopia

Here's another movie that didn't do much for me.  A golfer gets in a car wreck in a small town, Utopia.  He recently had a very public meltdown on TV and lost his game.  He's then tutored by Robert Duvall to get his game back.  It's golf, painting, fishing and religion.  None of it is very interesting, and it's all very predictable.    It's a 98 minute movie that has many, many scenes that were a complete waste of time.  Like a scene where guys laugh and throw washers into a metal hole in the ground.  Fascinating!

It has Melissa Leo and Robert Duvall

The most insulting thing is the very end of the movie cuts away and tells you to go to a website to find out how it ended?  What?  Go to a website to find out how a MOVIE ended?  Just out of curiosity, I went to the website, were you at treated to an eight minute video where the writer reads you a passage from the sequel?!  I couldn't watch the whole video.

Some people may like the religious aspects of this, but I felt like the movie was trying to sell me something.  This may put off a lot of viewers.

Pass


No comments:

Post a Comment